What is a national visa?
National visa – a visa allowing to enter the Republic of Lithuania and stay in it for a period longer than three months.
A single entry national visa (D) shall be issued to an alien who has been granted a temporary or permanent residence permit in the Republic of Lithuania.
A multiple entry national visa (D) shall be issued to an alien whose purpose of entry into the Republic of Lithuania is long term stay in the Republic of Lithuania. A list of cases when the multiple entry national visa can be issued.
What is the difference between Schengen visa and national visa?
Schengen visas are only valid for stays up to 90 days. Any stay longer than 90 days is subject to the rules in place for the applicant’s host country’s national visa.
|Aliens who own valid national visas (D) may travel to territories of other Schengen states for a period up to 90 days within any 180-day period.|
For how long can a national visa be valid?
A national visa is issued for a period up to one year.
If a foreigner has applied for a Lithuanian residence permit or has applied to renew the expired residence permit, he is entitled to get a multiple entry national visa for the period of application handling procedures, i.e. until he receives the permit
Can a multiply entry national visa be prolonged?
If a 1 year multiply enter visa has expired:
- less than 90 days ago, the foreigner should apply for the residence permit. In this case the foreigner can receive a national visa for the period of application handling procedures.
- more than 90 days ago, the foreigner can apply for a new multiply entry national visa.
Visa handling fee
€ 60 Euros (no other fees apply)
Free of charge for:
- the citizens of Belarus and Ukraine;
Visa handling is free of charge for Belarus citizens whether they apply for single entry of multiple entry visas. For the citizens of Ukraine the visa handling is free of charge only when they apply for multiply entry visa.
- children under 6 years of age;
- holders of diplomatic passports or other similar official travel documents, when they come for the cultural, foreign policy, development cooperation and other socially important reasons;
- persons who are Lithuanian descendants and have proving documents;
- persons who have secured a right for the citizenship of Lithuania and have proving documents;
- foreigners for whom there was a decision to issue a Lithuanian residence permit.
Visa handling procedure
Generally the processing may take up to 15 days. In rare cases the processing time may take up to 30 days and in exceptional cases when there is a need to obtain additional specific documents the processing may take up to 60 days.
On application you will be given a collection date. For enquiries about the status of your application, please contact the Embassy by phone 01 203 5757 between 2 p.m. and 5 p.m.
On the website of the Migration Department under the Ministry of the Interior of the Republic of Lithuania You will find the answers to the following questions: